Change of Legal Name

Emory University maintains the academic record for currently enrolled students as well as alumni. In order to maintain accurate student records, and to provide truthful verification of attendance and degrees earned, it is necessary to maintain consistent student naming conventions across all student records.

 Student’s full name is entered from the application for admission. Name changes should be submitted through the Office of the University Registrar’s Change of Name Form and will only be recorded when there is sufficient evidence supporting the change. (Requirements differ for adding/updating a Designated Name. Please see the designated name policy for more information.)

Students must provide one of the following showing the changed name:

  • Marriage License plus Picture ID (which may reflect name as currently listed in OPUS)
  • Court Order plus Picture ID (which may reflect name as currently listed in OPUS)
  • Passport (must reflect new name)
  • State/Government issued (such as driver’s license, reflecting new name)

Emory University is committed to protecting your personal information and respecting your privacy. We strive to follow best practices regarding data privacy and protection of the personal information of our community members. For information about how Emory University collects and protects personal information throughout the University, see the Emory University Privacy Statement for Student Characteristics.

Change of Name Form